Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Watery Wednesday

Last weekend I went into Newcastle, NSW and took a walk along the beachfront. This is a pic of Nobby's Lighthouse.
This is the same stretch of beach that in June 2007 the huge ship Pasha Bulka was blown ashore in a major storm. It took almost a month before the ship was pulled free. As it turned out they had emptied their balast tanks before entering the harbour trying to save time. They were then sitting too high in the water and had not control when the storm blew up.

5 comments:

  1. Most interesting shots!

    I read about the Pasha Bulka, but did not realise it had beached quite so close to the lighthouse.

    Even though I travelled through Newcastle many times when I lived in NSW, I never took time to go the beach area! Clearly, I should have going by the lovely first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures, great composition ! (:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos- and very interesting about the ship getting stranded on the shore. Thanks for sharing!
    Caprice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete